Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 10: 17km Fartlek training


I did a 17 kilometre Fartlek training today. I ran my usual 4 km warm-up to the channel and started doing my 2000 metre sprints there. According to Johan's schedule I had to run these 2 km in under 7 minutes and 40 seconds. That meant I had to run at a pace of 3:50 min/km. If you have been reading my blog you know that I consider anything under 5:00 min/km as alright. After all, if I would run a marathon at this pace I'd finish in 3,5 hours, which would be good enough for me.
But if Johan tells me to run 2000 metres in 7 mins 40 sec, I'll try so. And my first sprint today I made it under 7:40. I think I started out too fast but somewhat managed to stick to this pace and finished in 7 mins 35 sec. While I was enjoying my 10 minutes of "rest" (read: jogging) it started raining very hard and by the time I had to start my second sprint, I was literally soaking wet. I swear I might as well have jumped in the channel, crawled back out and continued running: I'd be equally wet. I figured I'd just continue my training: I was six kilometres away from home anyway, and I can't take shelter from the rain on marathon day either, so I'd just stick it out.
I did my second sprint in 7 minutes and 53 seconds. I was bummed I didn't make the 7:40, but I blame it on the weather and on the heaviness of my soaking wet shoes and clothes. My third sprint I finished in 7 minutes 51 seconds. Midway into this sprint my headphones started sounding bad and then just stopped working. Also the speakers of my iPhone didn't produce any sound anymore: no ringtone, no music, no text message notifications. Bummer, but I guess even Sennheiser and Apple technology isn't resistant to this kind of rain.

- 4 km warm-up: 4:58 min/km
- 2 km sprint: 7min35 - pace 3:46 min/km
- 2 km jogging: 5:50 min/km
- 2 km sprint: 7min53 - pace 3:53 min/km
- 2 km jogging: 5:40 min/km
- 2 km sprint: 7min 51 - pace: 3:51 min/km
- 3 km cool-down: 5:32 min/km

At night we had the very first gathering of Fixed Gear Hasselt and went on a 2 hour bikeride, something my quadriceps weren't too happy about.


No comments:

Post a Comment