Monday, January 4, 2010

2009 Yearlists (1)

Entering a new year and a new decade always involves a little bit of looking back too. I've always been a fan of yearlists and it's been a tradition for me to host them and post them, so I figured I might as well post up some on Complex Man. A big 'thank you' goes out to all the contributers for taking the time to fill this out! This is the first batch, I will post some more during the next few days. Hope you enjoy, 'cause I know I did...


BART DE DUYTSCHE
Let's kick off with the yearlist of Bart De Duytsche aka The Flex, as he was the first to send in his list on my request and as I know he does these things thoroughly. Editor of The Ghent Decontrol Fanzine, running enthousiast and movie connaisseur.

Most important thing that happened in 2009:
Growing up and growing pains, moving to a bigger apartment, settling for a steady job because life forces me to, getting into (and out of?) running again, playing poker regularly, Secrets Of The World.

Person of the year:
My cat.

Best musical releases of 2009:
I can't help but feel kinda out of touch with current music, not that I want to be, and I probably ain't, but I can't think of much releases that blew me away in 2009. These are definitely among the best things I heard in 2009: Secrets Of The World, Our Circle Is Vicious, Obliteration's second EP, Farm, History Of.. Tape reissue, The Sleeping Eye, Raw Life.

Best book/magazine/fanzine read in 2009:
The best stuff I've read is the interview I did with Kevin Crowley in early 2009 for my still to be finished final issue of The Ghent Decontrol.
I don't think I've read many fanzines this year, but still more than in 2008. I liked Heat Fanzine, not bad for a bunch of Germans.
I've read some books in 2009, but as usual I don't finish much and/or most are about technical stuff on making movies.
I've read The Road, which I liked. I've read the Dave K NYHC book, but that's an unfinished book and when reading you def can tell it is.
I'm pretty sure I've read a few other good books, but since I'm not at home I can't check my shelve.
The best book of 2009 I still have to read but is on top of my 'to read' pile: Everybody's Scene.

Best movie seen in 2009:
Must be Inglourious Basterds. Fuck the haters. I was thoroughly entertained from the first moment on, both times I went to see it. Movies should be about forgetting everything else and not worrying about a thing (well, most of the time anyway).
I really really liked Hunger, maybe the opposite of Inglourious Basterds, not entertaining at all, and very raw.
Further I liked Revolutionary Road, The Wrestler, De Helaasheid Der Dingen, Anvil: The Anvil Story, Star Trek, Slumdog Millionaire, District 9, Eden Lake, Away We Go, The Hangover, Public Enemies, The Cove, and a shitload that I'm forgetting.
Worst shit I've seen this year is GI Joe: Rise Of Cobra, Terminator Salvation, Sorority Row and Synecdoche New York.

Best television/radio broadcast seen/heard in 2009:
I don't listen to the radio, sometimes to Henry Rollins' Harmony In My Head or an American Cinematographer's podcast, but that's it.
I don't know if I saw the final season of The Wire this year or last, but that must have been the best. Curb Your Enthusiasm season 7 was great, even better than season 5 and 6. I liked Californication and 30 Rock. Eastbound And Down was a good television show as well, though there should have been more episodes.
I really dug television shows about cooking food in 2009 such as Mijn Restaurant, Komen Eten, Beste Hobbykok Van Vlaanderen or SOS Piet. I further more enjoyed Poker After Dark and Super8.
I watch too much stuff.

Best live performance seen in 2009:
Hands down the first time I heard Rise And Fall play In Circles live at Ieper fest. That song was absolutely the heaviest thing I've seen this year. Cock Sparrer in Amsterdam was the best show I've seen.
Other shows: Tragedy in Amsterdam, Fy Fan in Venlo, Iron Age in Ghent, Criminal Damage in Leuven, Dinosaur Jr. in Leffinge, Sex Vid in Antwerp, Cold World in Germany, FVK in Rotterdam, Murphy's Law in Eindhoven, Pete Dorothy in Lokeren.
I'm bummed I missed out on another Trapped Under Ice tour and My Bloody Valentine.

Vacation/roadtrip/tour of the year:
I didn't go on vacation this year and only made it out for a short trip to the north of France, so I guess that has to be it. I haven't been on many road trips this year and def not on tour. The best road trip would be to the FVK show in Rotterdam when cops pulled up to the car next to us at a traffic light and held the dudes in the car at gunpoint. It would have been cooler if Toon had gotten out just before to take a leak (as he wanted to do).

Website of the year:
1) Google
2) Facebook
3) xSharex

Picture/image/artwork of the year:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/punkarchive/pool/

Purchase or gift of the year:
A new iPod.

Joke/prank/hoax of the year:
Synecdoche New York. Google Wave.

Best and worst decision made in 2009:
Getting a real job.

Quote of 2009:
My name is Shosanna Dreyfus and THIS is the face... of Jewish vengeance!

Resolutions made for 2010:
Running a few half marathons and if I get in shape fast, running a full one, less wasted time, more fun, more hanging out, finishing my zine (Floorpunch in Antwerp!) and hopefully more good music and movies.



ADAM RIFKIN
Wilkes-Barre native and Into Another-devotee, Rifkin is probably known to most as the drummer for bands such as Bad Seed, Gypsy and No Tolerance. On the side he does a little roaddogging for War Hungry, Rzl Dzl, Mother Of Mercy and will soon join Floorpunch on their European tour.

Most important thing that happened in 2009:
the first black president of the united states of america

Person of the year:
no one was good in 2009, year of the dirty dogs.

Best musical releases of 2009:
(i'll just do hardcore) trapped under ice - secrets of the world

Best book/magazine/fanzine read in 2009:
i'm just gonna pretend that radio silence came out in 2009 cuz thats when i bought it...

Best movie seen in 2009:
watchmen

Best television/radio broadcast seen/heard in 2009:
lost, duhhhh

Best live performance seen in 2009:
Negative approach in philly

Vacation/roadtrip/tour of the year:
seattle with cold world for rain fest. (thanks to posi chris for showing us the town)

Website of the year:


Picture/image/artwork of the year:


























Purchase or gift of the year:
new x swatch, blackberry tour, cp company winter jacket

Joke/prank/hoax of the year:
our driver crashing the van in england, good prank...

Best and worst decision made in 2009:
mother of mercy full us tour with comeback kid (sucked but it was the shit, you know what i mean?)

Quote of 2009:
"its 2009, fuck it..." - bad seed inc.

Resolutions made for 2010:
tour more, take the g.r.e.'s, and apply to a grad school program


GEERT HOLLANDERS
Geert Hollanders aka Geert To The X aka Bompa aka Hoogie is editor of Line Of Defense Fanzine, former Powered Records associate, founding CEO of Control Records, founding CEO of Nailed To The X Products, and curator of the 'Museum Of Hardcore And General Coolness'. I am proud to call him one of my best friends and honored to have him featured on here.

Person of the year:
Adam Malik

Best musical releases of 2009:
On - Double Vision lp / No Tolerance ep

Best book/magazine/fanzine read in 2009:
Radio Silence book

Best movie seen in 2009:
Public Enemies

Best television/radio broadcast seen/heard in 2009:
Californication

Best live performance seen in 2009:
Cold World set, Essen Germany / Edge Day show, Boston USA.

Vacation/roadtrip/tour of the year:
July 10th till August 3th that included Cold Worl weekend - Have Heart, shipwrecked, Rise And Fall euro tour - Boston + California S&F trip.

Website of the year:
Double Crossed blog / Ebay.com

Picture/image/artwork of the year:

Purchase or gift of the year:
Air Jordan III 2001 edition

Joke/prank/hoax of the year:
Have to be something that involves Peers.

Worst decision made in 2009:
Watching Bringin'it Down for a couple of songs at Ieper fest.

Quote of 2009:
'het zal wel zeker!'

Resolutions made for 2010:
just being and doing the same stuff as the last 17 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment