Friday, January 8, 2010

2009 Yearlists (3)


FILIP VAN DAMME
Filip Van Damme aka Den Backtrack is an OG Soul Survivor, sneakerhead, head of RTTM Security, editor of Crunkswagger blog, Antwerp native, and if you ask me: related to Jean-Claude by blood...

Most important thing that happened in 2009:
Seeing I don’t have cable nor listen to the radio that often and mostly get information by word of mouth I tend to be pretty ignorant when it comes to what goes on in the world today. I mostly reside in my own little world and can’t really be bothered when it comes to the umpteenth revealed corruption/adultery scandal or the endless political bullshit that seems to rule the media nowadays. I do however think the recent copenhagen climate conference (even if the outcome totally flopped) is a positive evolution. I’m no environmentally conscient person whatsoever and my ecological footprint would probably make big foot look like a lil’ bitch, but I can only applaud the growing awareness of the way we’re completely ruining our planet. Furthermore I think Michael Jackson’s death is definitely worth mentioning. Although he hadn’t really contributed to the music world since 1991 and pretty much made making a fool out of himself into an art, he did shape the mold of popular music for years to come. Michael was to pop what chuck berry was to rock, black sabbath was to metal, the bad brains were to hardcore and lil’ wayne is to 21st century hip hop. On a more personal level a lot has changed for me this past year. Got sucked into what could be called the grown up life and finally settled into the idea of the necessity of having a full time job if I ever want to do the the things I have in mind for myself, yet ironically work often prohibits me from doing the things I want. The biggest challenge for me this last year was keepin’ a healthy balance between the real world and all the little things I take refuge in. I think I manage pretty well although I often have the feeling of missing out. Missing out on opportunities that present themselves in terms of career moves or financial gain, but also missing out on doing what I want whenever I want to do it. I guess that is the paradox of true freedom though. Maybe 2010 will help me solve this.

Person of the year:
Hard question. Although I tend to see a lot of good in people I’m convinced of the truth that lies in the saying ‘nobody’s perfect’. I can and will not point out one individual as being person of the year based on personal merit, talent, fame or fortune. I think the real persons of the year are those that stay true to theirselves, others and what they believe in. Those who don’t lead their lives by society’s forced standards, but have the strength and individuality to live by their own rules. Those who are in constant search for truth and happiness, who can see beyond their nose and and are able to cross set boundaries, who try to better themselves and those around them and don’t take comfort in what is handed down to them on a platter but instead seek for added value beyond what is common. No ceilings, only the sky!

Best musical releases of 2009:
I don’t feel like firing up the google machine to see if said releases were actually released this year, but the following have definitely grasped my attention and or have been in rotation the most: damien jurado – caught in the trees, lil wayne – no ceilings mixtape, iron age – the sleeping eye, ghostface – ghostdini: the wizard of poetry in the emerald city, xasthur – all reflections drained, winne – zonder strijd, thorr’s hammer – dommedagsnatt (if re-releases count), david bazan – curse your branches, birdman – family over everything mixtape, keri hilson – in a perfect world… , tiny vipers – life on earth, kid cudi – man on the moon: the end of day, kings of convenience – declaration of dependance, brand new – daisy, la roux – s/t, jim jones – pray IV reign, regina spektor – far, trapped under ice – secrets of the world, camera obscura – my maudlin career, kickback – no surrender, timbaland – shock value II and I’m still getting into that new Clipse record. I kinda suck at this as you can tell.

Best book/magazine/fanzine read in 2009:
On the fanzine tip I’ve always appreciated angelo degryse’s and laura vos’ efforts, respectively tales of shatou and milkshake fanzine. I don’t really get around to reading that often as that is the first thing that gets skipped whenever I’m busy with other stuff. Since I’ve kept myself pretty busy I only got around to reading jeff chang’s ‘cant’t stop won’t stop’ on a 32 hour trip back home from LA. Oh yeah, I always have an issue of vice magazine laying around the can for those long efforts. Plus I enjoy flipping through Peter Beste’s ‘True Norwegian Black Metal’, which was an awesome gift for my birthday last year. I’ve started buying some more books, so we’ll see if I’ll pick up on reading again.

Best movie seen in 2009:
the hangover, no competition. tyson was pretty intense as well.

Best television/radio broadcast seen/heard in 2009:
I only checked out my friend kathryn’s ‘the real deal’, which is a good listen, too bad it doesn’t come on till 2 am central european time. Other than that I can appreciate the duyster sessions on Sunday evenings.

Best live performance seen in 2009:
The most interesting and entertaining was definitely the superbowl of hardcore in brooklyn last june. Anthony Communale reaching his mic into the crowd holding it by the end of the mic stand with so much ease as if it was a chopstick. Ezec mounting the stage in ripped lightblue jeans that had the nyhc logo written in black magic marker all over them, opening up with icepick and finishing up the set with four songs off of the skarhead ‘drugs, money and sex’ EP with mike dijan on guitar. Seeing 40 year old mobster types doped up on blow in leather jackets and Kevone of BullDoze fame fuck people up on the dancefloor. Other than that I remember enjoying seeing madball in a pretty small club in bruges, the terror/trapped under ice/born from pain show in aachen. Cold World/Justice in Essen was pretty intense as well and definitely brought back good memories. Closer to home I saw Winne tear up club petrol last winter with his posse litterally just straight up losin’ their shit on stage. He litterally blew every hip hop act I saw recently away (including names like ghostface, gza, capone ’n noreaga, …). Live shows I saw of Damien Jurado, Bon Iver and William Fitzsimmons were pretty cool as well. Definite let down was Electric Wizard, although I love their releases.

Vacation/roadtrip/tour of the year:
I’m having a hard time singling one out. Yearly trip overseas to new york was good as always, plenty of commerce and calories. Three weeks of touring the states with rise and fall and hitting up 18 states is definitely something I’ll remember and cherish. The denim quest I sent myself out on in Stockholm and being imprisoned for four days. Two hour drive down to germany to go see rzl dzl that took us about four, jumping a fence with a wheelchair and chillin’ hard, eating sint catharina chicken sandwiches afterwards. Booking a flight to go see madball and rhythm to the madness play across the pond and returning within a 24 hour timeframe. Things that define a good roadtrip are definitely snacks / drinks / good company. I could go see a farmer milk a cow four hours away as long as the trip up there is good. Form over function.

Website of the year:
failblog.org

Picture/image/artwork of the year:

Purchase or gift of the year:

plane tickets (x4) / sara’s birthday package / new matress

Joke/prank/hoax of the year:

some/most people.

Best and worst decision made in 2009:

no regrets, no shame.

Quote of 2009:

“I was living the crimethinc. dream he man!” -OJ

Resolutions made for 2010:

stayin’ on top my game.


WIM JACQUEMIN
I'm proud to host the yearlist of yet another OG Soul Survivor! Wim aka De Hardway is a standup dude and I wouldn't flinch walking into a sea of ice with him. Known from The Hardway blog, boenking and his developed taste in New York Hardcore (the sketchier, the better!).

Most important thing that happened in 2009 (politics, entertainment, personal,…):
Breaking up

Person of the year:
It's just me myself and I. Whatever happens around us, it's yourself dealing with it.

Best musical releases of 2009:
Even though a lot of the older bands did some new releases, like KickBack, Maximum Penalty, Skarhead, Wisdom in Chains, Merauder... 2009 wasn't the best year for hardcore. Some records I have been listening to a lot:
Steel Nation 'Soul Swallower'
SetBack - Unfinished Business
Strength For A Reason - Burden of Hope

Best book/magazine/fanzine read in 2009:
The Four Noble Truths, by the Dalai Lama

Best movie seen in 2009:
Public Enemies

Best television/radio broadcast seen/heard in 2009:
Curb Your Enthusiasm

Best live performance seen in 2009:
Killing Time, Superbowl NYC
Stigmata - Superbowl NYC

Vacation/roadtrip/tour of the year:
Vacation: India - Nepal
As for a roadtrip, nothing can beat the idea of going hiking, unprepared, when -18 degrees.

Website of the year:
http://www.hardcorewebsite.net/bored

Picture/image/artwork of the year:
Gonna have to skip this one.

Purchase or gift of the year:
2009 was the year in which I didn't do any crazy purchases, but still never had money. I'm looking around here, all my money went to living.

Joke/prank/hoax of the year:
Women

Best and worst decision made in 2009:
Best: I don't make good decisions
Worst: check question 1 and 12

Quote of 2009:
"ik weet ni"

Resolutions made for 2010:
Must be the first year for which I have some resolutions:
Soul Survival
Get a grip on my financial situation
Find a new job
Be more disciplined in cooking / housekeeping / pumpin iron
Find inner peace
Mosh and hurt people in my camojacket one time


No comments:

Post a Comment